Daily Florida Moving Planning Guide
4 weeks... 3 weeks... Countdown to an easy move...
4 Weeks Before Moving
- File a change of address form with the Postal Office for each person receiving mail at your home.
- Notify creditors, magazines, and book and record clubs of your new address.
- Contact doctors and dentists for your family's medical records.
- Ask your physicians for colleague recommendations in your new city.
- Get copies of renewable prescriptions.
- Decide which items should be discarded or donated to charity. (Consider having a garage sale)
- Complete a home inventory, listing each possession, date purchased, and value.
- Notify your local utilities to have your service turned off after your departure.
- Contact utilities in your new city for connections.
- Notify your children's schools, your church, clubs and any other organizations of your impending move.
3 Weeks Before Moving
- Decide which items you will pack and review "Your Guide to Successful and Safe Packing." (Your sales representative can provide a variety of packing materials at a reasonable price.)
- Sketch out the floor plan of your new home to determine placement of furnishings. Make a list of names, addresses and numbers you will need or want to remember.
- Pack your phone book so you can contact businesses after your move.
- Notify your BOOSKA Agent if you have changed anything about your move; household goods, destination, dates of the move, etc.
- Make arrangements to move your plants and pets.
- Transfer contents of safety deposit box. Check homeowners insurance policies to see if moving is covered.
- Transfer insurance to cover fire, theft and personal property at your new home.
2 Weeks Before Moving
- If you're shipping an automobile, plan to have the gasoline tank less than 1/2 full and make sure there is sufficient antifreeze and oil upon move day.
- Plan your trip to your new destination. (Make travel accommodations, and if driving, have your car serviced.)
- Return borrowed things and collect things you've loaned out.
- Make arrangements for servicing your appliances both at your current home and your new home. (BOOSKA MOVERS can assist you with arranging these third party services, if desired.)
- Dispose of flammables such as gasoline, matches, cleaning fluids, bleach, pressurized or aerosol cans, and ammunition.
- Discontinue regular services such as newspaper, trash pickup, lawn service, etc.
- If moving your TV antenna, make arrangements to have it taken down. (BOOSKA MOVERS can arrange this service for you, if desired.)
1 Week Before Moving
- Arrange for payment to your driver at destination. ( A payment by cash, personal check, certified check, credit card or money order is required before unloading unless your move is to be billed to your employer or has previous credit approval.)
- Transfer bank and savings accounts so you don't lose interest.
- Make arrangements to discontinue your local telephone service. (Your local telephone company can help you establish phone service at your new home.)
- Determine which items you're taking with you. Pack these items and set aside in a designated area.
- Have rugs and draperies cleaned. (Keep in protective cleaners bags.)
- Use up your frozen food supply, give it to a neighbor, or donate it to a food bank.
- Drain the fuel from lawnmowers and other power equipment.
Moving Out Day
- Be on hand when the driver arrives and throughout the loading process. (If you won't be there, make sure someone will be there to direct the movers. Make sure the driver has in writing the name and phone number of that person.)
- Accompany the driver during inventory. Check on the condition of your goods as they are loaded.
- Make a final tour of your home. See that nothing is overlooked.
- Sign the bill of lading and make sure your new address and phone number are correct.
- Lock all windows and doors, and turn off all switches.
Moving In Day
- Arrive at your home a day ahead of time, if possible, to make sure utilities are connected and to plan placement of major items in your home.
- Be on hand to pay the driver with cash, traveler's check, certified check or money order prior to your goods being unloaded.
Checklist of People & Companies to be Notified
- Post Office
- Insurance Companies
- Banks and Financial Institutions
- Book Club
- Record Club
- Travel/Auto Club
- Utility Companies
- Telephone Company
- Trash Company
- Cable Company